Thursday, January 17, 2008

Don't freak out with the whole two posts in one day thing!

So Ive been sick. Real sick. Pukin' my brains out sick. For 36 years hours. It was gross. Exhausting. Painful. But at the same time, I did catch up on some reading. And strangely, got my brain age down to 22 (?). I also had a lot of time to think. Between the puking of course. And Ive been thinking. I think I need to change the direction of my blog. Ive always prided myself on being trivial here. But lately, my life has taken a direction that has kept me away because Im getting involved in some way not trivial things. (Did I mention I was on a list to try to "adopt" a temporarily homeless gay college student over New Year's? He worked it out thankfully and was able to go back home) But I miss you folks. And I also feel like I need an outlet for the ideas that crop up in this sharp as a tack 22 year old mind (bay-beeeee)(yes that's sarcasm). And Im starting to think I need to say things just because they need to be said. And because Im getting more and more pissed off and i don't have too many other appropriate places to put my pissed offedness. So I might be getting more political here. Or maybe I should just say more vocal about my frustration or sense of impotence about the social injustices I am looking at these days. I will still try to make it fun for you though. And in between impulsive , incoherent, possibly ill-informed and most likely not well thought out rants, I will keep you posted about all things crse, such as the drama of my broken nail (Now i UNDERSTAND why they say people cry over a broken nail!) or how thanks to Lucy, I now proudly chair the Mint subcommittee in our church. (no it was mockery, not a real subcommittee, but the mints make me feel like our church shares a little hug with every partaker of candy)(Sega? Remember the tic-tac story? Its along those lines! Remind me to tell you the dog-poop story. I missed you at group BTW)

Still here? Well friends, like a good dog who won't leave the damn bone alone, I am back on the whole identification needed to vote gnaw jaw. It happened when I was rifling through papers the other day and I found my little voting reminder with the big blatant PAY TO VOTE (photo Id required) stamp across the front and friends, I physically reacted. I am not quite sure why of all the social injustices in the world this one PISSES me off so bad.

When I reflect upon it, I think it has something to do with my (possibly naive) need to believe that despite all the yuckiness surrounding our forefathers, there are indeed certain truths that NEED to be self-evident. And if the constitution does in fact enumerate these truths as rights guaranteed to all citizens of our country (i know don't waste your breath, I already said it was naive). Up until last November, all I needed to exercise my right to vote was a signature. I never thought much about it (well I actually did but that's a whole other post dealing with my fascination with record keeping books) until I realized it was gone. Looking back, I see it as a beautiful expression of democracy that I totally took for granted. Reflective of the inherent dignity of all citizens regardless of race or class status. By signing our names, we were saying that despite the fucked up electoral process and all the partisan bull-shit, all citizens who choose to vote are equals on election day. We all matter the same amount. One person. One signature. One vote. Delusional? well of course but dammit, it was something. And they took it away. For no good reason. Despite what the mindless soundbite-hungry morons will tell you, the photo-id crap was a direct result of reports released from a supposedly "non-partisan" organization that ultimately disbanded in early 2007, after pretending to find a bunch of information supporting exactly what karl rove wanted them to support. And what do we have now? Continued exploitation of the disenfranchised is NOT the answer.

So that there is my vent.

So did I tell you guys I joined a social action group? Yeah....im hoping it helps with this sort of thing....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you've been sick! Awww. I want to bring you soup. But it would be cold by the time I got there....hope you feel better soon. :)

ZigZagMan said...

I too am sorry your under the weather buddy, I gotta depart with ya on ID required thing.

While your state may have different rules, my state requires you have a photo ID period from 18 up if your are a resident. Not just to drive, but for just about anything. If your are not a driver, you can get a state issued photo ID for 10 bucks.....if you are financially challenged, or over a certain age...the waive the fee.

I'm a firm believer that all citizens should have the right to vote.....but as votes are bought...manipulated and tampered..on the part of all parties..I think a photo ID as proof of citizenship is not unreasonable.

For the record...this scares the hell out of Illinois more than any other state...:)

crse said...

LB- thats so sweet baby. I actually had some and puked it up so Im glad yo didn't go to the trouble. Id have felt very remorseful...

zig- Im so not surprised you depart with me! I guess my take on it is that the tampering is occurring on so many levels, it kind of pisses me off that this is what they target. I see it personally as well...crap. But i don't think the request for an ID in general is unreasonable. Esp. if they waive the fee....

ZigZagMan said...

I know...agreeing with me often is painful........:)

crse said...

no seriously! I like you enough that sometimes i want to agree with you more than i actually do!!! Which is interesting because generally the people i don't particularly care for, Id rather not disagree with because i don't want to hear manufactured bullshit. I feel very free about disagreeing with you though. It's like a liberty in our dynamic that you graciously allow me to take!

ZigZagMan said...

No grace about it buddy, while I may deeply disagree with you on polotics, I do respect you put thought into your opinions. :)