Monday, August 14, 2006

Baselining

You know how when you think things are normal and then you start thinking about them and you realize they are not normal at all? My dad is a great guy but he has this really sick thing where he will call and leave me messages and say "You will never guess who died, call me back". Ive told him before that although I love guessing games, this is definitely not one I enjoy playing. He is always apologetic but he keeps forgetting and continues to do it.(he had a stroke in 98. He has memory lapses) Or when he does remember, the message is usually "you'll never guess...uh...call me back, I gotta tell you something". I love my dad. This isn't normal is it?

6 comments:

luckybuzz said...

I don't even know what "normal" *means*. And I think it's better that way. It's that damn DSM that gets us into all the trouble. :)

Anonymous said...

normal? normal is your life. (yeah for self norming) constructive/destructive is another thing. chaotic can be both!
love you!

Pippajo said...

OK, once my Dad called me and said, "You know it's me, you've got my number...RED CURRANT JELLY. Repeat, RED CURRANT JELLY." Then when I didn't call him back soon enough he called again to bellow, "RED CURRANT JELLY" into my voicemail.

No, it's not normal, but I gave up hoping for normal from my family a long time ago.

crse said...

Stupid DSM. Red Currant Jelly? Thats awesome! Looking at my little comment baseline here im feeling very warm and glad none of you are "normal"

Jesse said...

Pardom my ever perpetuating ignorance, but what is DSM?

And for the record, I think I get about 2 calls from the Dad a year. And no, we are not on bad terms or anything like that.

crse said...

Jesse, the DSM is the diagnostic and statistical manual for determing criteria for mental disorders. EVERYTHING you could possible feel emotionally probably has a category in the DSM. Its great for pathologizing yourself and others!