Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Cornhole: a metaphor

So in the course of work today, I had the opportunity to play some cornhole. Before my gentle readers collapse in shock and horror allow me to explain what cornhole is to those not in the know (Ive only been in the know for about three weeks). This game is basically little more than standing across the yard throwing bean bags into a hole. Weve been using the game with clients because not only does it help with gross motor and hand eye coordination, the nature of the game requires opponents to stand together which is incredibly therapeutic in terms of working on social skills, sportsmanship and other targeted areas of treatment. All this information isnt really relevant to my post however.

As I was playing with my client and another team, I was receiving pointers from one of my co-workers (lets call him Zodd). This particular worker has been coaching me in the ways of cornhole (SHAME ON YOU) since I first started playing. For those who dont know me in RL, let me interject that Im not what you'd call sporty or even coordinated. Thus, getting my throw arc, my release point, my step and my form to work in concert only happens about once every other game. As I looked across to my partner and my opponent (another co-worker, we will call him Glob), Zodd tells me that I need to work on my finesse. At that moment, Glob tosses his bean bag and I watched his body move completely as one functioning unit. It was actually kind of beautiful. The next throw is made by my client. He was pretty much a little cyclone. Sweet and touching but not so beautiful. And not so effective either. Needless to say, I could definitely relate to his performance. Together we scored about six points in two games (you play to til 21). I was able to hit the board maybe twice in about 36 throws. I did not get it in the hole today. Glob and his partner wiped the floor with us. But again, the post is not about us losing. I dont mind losing. I like to play and Im very trained at laughing at myself.

All day long though, I reflected on Glob's form and fluidity in that moment of the perfect toss. I realized that I lack this fluidity not only in Cornhole but also in life. I feel like I can take any individual task (the throw, the release point etc) and master it. When it comes time to perform all these tasks together? Im the cyclone. And Im completely ineffective. Im starting to think that this problem might be at the root of a lot of my difficulties in life. I realize that this might not be the best time for this kind of self-evaluation, being that my ADD is rampant and Im seriously undermedicated as I "build tolerance" to a different medication. Still I can actually taste the frustration of aiming for the hole and not even hitting the board. And Im not only talking about the actual game here. So much of my life seems to be aiming for the hole and not hitting the board. Being a cyclone is tiresome.

9 comments:

Canada said...

Ah, but look at the power of the cyclone. You have that power. So what if you can't be graceful and coordinated in cornhole? I know it was a metaphor, and you're having a rough time at the moment, but you work full-time, you are a great mother to two adorable kids (more Normisms in the near future, please!), and also have a life. That's way more multi-tasking than most people can do. So, don't knock yourself too hard.

And was it iced coffee Wed again? :)

luckybuzz said...

Oh. Oh, oh, sweetie, I am so totally a cyclone too.

And what Canada said. You have areas of your life where you are just that smooth and flawless. Neither of us are cyclones *all* the time. :)

Pippajo said...

I'm just hoping that someone, at some point in that game, was pulling their shirt up around their ears, grunting, "I am Cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole!"

Jennfactor 10 said...

Some days, all you can do is keep tossing those bean bags. Hang in there, my friend.

Anonymous said...

i love your cyclone. it does carry all kinds of energy which is very pretty to look at. also note canada and lb... not a cyclone everywhere. i have always appreciated the joy you bring to what you are describing as your cyclone-ness.

crse said...

Oh you guys! thats so nice! Canada Ive sworn off iced coffee wednesday for a while! Thank you for putting it in perspective. I did actually update the normisms recently.LB and erthy what areas would that bethat I am smooth and flawless? And YES EVERY TIME WE PLAY I have to say something about cornholio. Why? because Im 12 years old. Thanks again guys for cheering me way up!

Jesse said...

I know the feeling of mastering the pieces but failing to put everything together as a whole.

I know that feeling well.

Anonymous said...

anreas smooth and flawless...
dancing
seeing the beauty in those you love
telling them about it
giving love.
i once saw you make a very smooth batch of homemade from scratch choc chip cookies (which for some reason surprised me, as long as I've known you, i just didn't expect it)
strolling
lots of other things I can't think of at the moment

crse said...

Awww erthy! You are so wonderful. Those were good cookies though...werent they ;-)